Tuesday, January 15, 2008

In the beginning...



I'm just trying to keep up with you younger people out there so you may need to cut me some slack as I learn all about blogging. That explains WHY I'm blogging, let me explain some other things. The title - someone who lives outside of their own country is considered an expatriate, an expat for short. The main purpose of the blog is to give family and friends an idea of our life over here. We've only been overseas 7 years so it's about time you know what going on. The template for the blog: it's called snapshot - what else would a photographer use.

Frank doesn't have school today - it's raining. I know strange as it may sound, school is closed because of the rain. It has been raining for several days now. You see, Dubai is set up to handle sand and it does that very well. Since it only rains once every several years, the drainage system, or lack of one, is not set up for rain. So, streets flood, people drive like it isn't wet, roofs leak, windows leak, sewers back up, etc.

This is the second day this week school was cancelled. President Bush visited Dubai on Monday and Sheikh Mohammed, the ruler of Dubai, declared it a holiday and most everything was closed. Needless to say, Frank has had a great week. Friday/Saturday is our weekend so he only has one more day of school this week. I've benefited also. Steve takes Frank to school but when he's traveling, I do it. Since Steve is in Saudi Arabia, Amsterdam, Rome and Milan this week, I had to drive. Thanks to Bush and the rain, I had 2 days off just like Frank.

Our new villa handles the rain much better than the old one - at least so far. I've only discovered a couple of leaks and they are bearable. Along with the rain comes lower temps which is nice except there are no heaters in the villas. So we are running around in robes, sweatpants (only have one pair), hoodies and socks trying to stay warm. I'm trying to be content and not complain because I know if a few weeks it will be hot again and I'll be wishing for more rain. There's alot of things I need to work on but I'm going to try the content thing at least while the rain lasts.....



1 comment:

stephanie said...

oh i can't tell you how excited i was to see you are going to blog. i know it will be great! i mean, for one, you live in dubai. all the other blogs i read are local. secondly, it's you. the photos will be something to look forward to and the entries will keep us in the loop!! hooray!!!