Saturday, February 2, 2008

"Spicy" Old Dubai

There's a part of me that feels the need to include pictures any time I post. Since I'm still learning all the aspects of adding photos, that takes me the longest to do. I've put off posting until I had some interesting pictures. Plus, I've been busy at school taking basketball pictures. I take photos for varsity, JV and the under 14 group. After school has been quite busy. Taking the pictures is the fun, less time consuming part. Manipulating them on the computer is the time consuming part.

In between games, I was able to take a trip with some friends to an older part of Dubai called Diera. It's the part of town where you can find the wholesale souk, gold souk, spice souk, etc. Here are a few pictures from the trip.







Here are my friends smelling cinnamon sticks in the spice souk. The blue stuff in the next picture is indigo for washing jeans. The last picture shows the many ways the spice souk can spice up your life!!!



As we headed home, the dry docks had a shift change. All the workers wear blue coveralls and ride their bikes to work. The picture doesn't do justice to the amount of workers going to work. It was a sea of blue.
If you have anything in particular your curious about or want to see pictures of, just let me know in the comments and I'll do my best to post about that.

2 comments:

stephanie said...

for the camera novice, basketball action shots are the hardest ones to get. i think it is the funny gym lighting. i get better shots of baseball outdoors. i bet i don't have all the right equipment. we have a lady who takes shots of our league. wish it was you!

anywho.... like you, i like to post including photos. and i like when you do. what exactly is "souk"?

Janice Knott said...

My definition of a souk is a small area crammed floor to ceiling with stuff for you to buy. there is usually a person right outside of the souk who tries to get you to come inside. Sometimes they can be very annoying.